Welcome back for the latest installment of ‘Meal of the month’!
Each month, I’ll share one of the scrumptious yet guilt-free recipes I rely on to maintain nutritional harmony.
If you're feeling lethargic, out of shape, unhealthy or just not your usual energetic self, I can support you in finding the nutritional balance that can help you reach your full potential.
What I love about this recipe…
I love this recipe because – like me – it's a multitasker. Not only is it homely and comforting (perfect for an after-work snack), it's packed with protein and will fill you with oodles of energy – making it an ideal post-workout treat.
Here’s a quick overview of this recipe:
- Preparation time = 30 minutes
- Serves = 4 people
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need:
- 400g of firm water-packed tofu (rinsed and crumbled)
- 1 small courgette (diced)
- ¾ cup of sweetcorn
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- ½ cup of shredded vegan Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup of prepared salsa
- ¼ cup of fresh coriander (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons of canola oil (separate)
- 1½ teaspoons of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Let's get cooking
- Using a large, non-stick frying pan, heat 1½ teaspoons of oil over medium heat.
- Then, add the tofu and season with the aromatic combination of chili powder, cumin and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Keep on the heat until the tofu begins to turn golden brown (around 4 – 6 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Decant this mouthwatering combination into a separate bowl. Then, add the remaining oil and allow to re-heat.
- Now, for the veg. Add the courgette, corn and spring onions to the pan, then season with the remaining salt. Stirring often, your veg should be just the right side of tender in about 3 minutes.
- You're almost there. Combine the tofu and veg in the same pan and cook for another 2 minutes, then cut the heat and sprinkle lovingly with vegan Pepper Jack cheese.
- Divide onto four plates, then top with two healthy dollops of salsa and one of coriander. There you have it – spicy vegan tofu scramble!
Tips and tricks
- Mix up the veg. There's no need to get shackled to this combination; just use the tofu scramble as a base and come up with different veggie themes, like Mediterranean or Southeast Asian.
- Scale down the ingredients and use it as a perfect accompaniment to the ultimate vegan breakfast.
Per serving (¾ cup)
- 202 calories
- 12g fat (4g saturated)
- 3g fibre
- 12g carbohydrates
- 13g protein
- 50mcg folate
- 13mg cholesterol
- 4g sugars (0g added)
- 728 IU vitamin A
- 13mg vitamin C
- 509mg sodium
- 421mg potassium
- 326mg calcium
- 2mg iron
Carbohydrate servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1½ medium fat meat, 1 fat
*Recipe details courtesy of EatingWell