Hey everyone, it’s that time again – are you ready for another scrumptious serving of my meal of the month? Of course you are! This month, I’ve prepared one of my all-time favourite dishes. It’s nutritious, delicious and completely meat-free!
What I love about this recipe ….
This meal is light and refreshing – perfect for a hot summer’s day! It’s an ideal accompaniment for any picnic or BBQ, but also tasty enough to be the main event at fancy dinner party.
Here’s a quick look at the recipe:
- Preparation/cooking time = 1 ½ hours
- Serves = 12
Here are all the ingredients you need to make this tasty treat:
- 12 cups of water (divided)
- 1 cup of dried black beans
- 6 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt (divided)
- 4 medium poblano pepper
- 2/3 cup of red quinoa
- 3 large ears fresh corn (husked)
- 6 ½ tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
- 1 cup of crumbled cotija cheese
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice, plus 1 whole lime cut into 12 wedges
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup of cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
Let’s get cooking.
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large saucepan, then add the beans and garlic. Bring to the boil on a high heat, the reduce to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender (1 to 1 ¼ hours). Add ½ teaspoon of salt and simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes. Drain the mix, discard the garlic and leave to cool.
- Preheat your broiler on a high temperature. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and broil 3 – 4 inches from the heat source, turning regularly. Do this until they’re nicely charred (8 – 15 minutes). Place in a paper bag, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Peel the peppers and chop into wide strips, around 3cm in length.
- Bring 4 cups of water the boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the quinoa and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Boil until tender with a hint of al dente crunch (10 – 14 minutes). Drain well and spread onto a plate to cool.
- Bring another pan of water to boil, add the corn and cook for 3 minutes. Then (once cooled slightly) slice off the kernels with a sharp knife.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of oil in a medium-sized non-stick skillet over a moderate to high heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir frequently until limp and speckled with charred spots (4 – 8 minutes). Then, stir in the cumin.
- Combine the beans, peppers, corn, onion and cheese in a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and toss the mix. Add the lime juice and remaining 5 tablespoons of oil, then toss again. Now, gently stir in the quinoa.
- Just before serving, stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. Serve the salad with avocado and lime wedges, then tuck in!
Tips and tricks
- Prep ahead, then start again from step ‘7’
- Toast and then grind up your spices for the ultimate in fragrant food
- Cool your grains quickly by spreading them out on a foil-lined baking tray
- 256 calories
- 14g fat (3g sat, 8 g mono)
- 9mg cholesterol
- 28g carbohydrates
- 0g added sugars
- 8g protein
- 7g fibre
- 302mg sodium
- 526mg potassium
- Vitamin C: 71% dv
- Folate: 29% dv
- Magnesium: 19% dv
- Potassium: 15% dv
1 starch, 1 vegetable, ½ lean meat, 2 fat