Welcome back for my latest ‘Meal of the month’!
Your diet defines who you are. If you feel unhealthy, or just like you have more to offer in life, then my nutritional therapy programme could be just what you’re looking for.
What I love about this recipe…
This recipe is quick, convenient and bursting with goodness. From energy-boosting greens to the medicinal benefits of turmeric — this salad has it all!
Here’s a quick overview of the recipe:
- Preparation time = 40 minutes
- Serves = 6 people
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 x 20cm wholegrain naan breads
- 115g of kale (coarsely chopped and stemmed)
- 285g of kai choi (coarsely chopped and stemmed)
- ½ medium sweet onion (chopped finely)
- ½ cup vegan feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cornmeal
- 2 cloves of garlic (small)
- 1 serrano chilli (minced)
- ½ tablespoon of fresh ginger (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
Let’s get cooking…
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (gas mark 7). Then, delicately brush both sides of the naan bread with extra virgin olive oil (around one tablespoon’s worth).
- Slice each naan bread into six and spread them evenly over two large baking trays. Place these in the oven to bake for 8 – 10 minutes (turning approximately halfway through). Remove the naan from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Boil a kettle full of water and pour into a large pot. Keeping the heat low-to-medium, mix in the kai choi and kale. These should take just two minutes to cook to perfection. Pour into a colander, allow to drain, then press out any excess water with the back of a spoon.
- Chop the leaves finely using a food processor. Then, pour in the cornmeal and use the processor’s ‘pulse’ setting to mix into a rich mulch.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in an oven-safe pan on a mid-to-high setting. Then, turn the heat down to medium and combine the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger, stirring regularly. After 6 – 8 minutes, the mixture should be soft and filling your kitchen with aroma.
- Now it’s time for the magic ingredient — turmeric. Add this in and stir for one minute. Then, mix in the kale and kai choi, and stir until most of the water has evaporated (1 – 2 minutes).
- Finish off with lemon juice and salt, then cover with vegan feta cheese and grill until it begins to bubble. Portion out the salad and give everyone a handful of naan pieces for dipping.
Tips and tricks
Turmeric is a wonder-food, and I’ll be telling you more about it in future posts. For now, just know it’s been proven to have an effect as all of these things and more:
- Anticoagulant/antiplatelet medication
- Cholesterol regulator
Per serving (approximate):
- 251 calories
- 11g fat (4g saturated)
- 31g carbohydrates
- 5g fibre
- 9g protein
- 42mcg folate
- 9mg cholesterol
- 4g sugars
- 0g added sugars
- 2474 IU vitamin A
- 44mg vitamin C
- 147mg calcium
- 2mg iron
- 495mg sodium
- 354mg potassium
1 ½ starch, 1 vegetable, 1 ½ fat
For more wonderful benefits of Turmeric have a look at http://w1.msshpp.net/prod/ff51396e-372a-462e-ad9f-3a47db92020a/93974c7d-90a8-4975-9a7d-b48cc8edcd95
Want to adopt a diet that’ll give you the energy and overall sense of wellbeing you need to reach your inner potential? Book in with me for a 1:1 nutritional therapy session, and I’ll give you the knowledge and motivation you need to improve your eating habits one step at a time.